The CUHK Nethersole School of Nursing 25th Anniversary Outstanding Alumni Awards
Distinguished Alumni Award
Ms. Jane Lai-hung CHAN
General Manager (Nursing), Grantham Hospital[MPhil in Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
Prof. Carmen Wing-han YIP CHAN
Vice-Director of Education; Professor, The Nethersole School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[MPhil in Nursing graduate]
- Prof. Chan has been active in promoting academic research, and her research interests focus on paediatric, cancer and palliative care.
- She has obtained many research grants and awards for her outstanding research contributions.
Prof. Doris Sau-fung YU
Vice-Director of Research; Professor, The Nethersole School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[PhD in Nursing graduate]
Prof. Anne Marie CHANG
Adjunct Professor, School of Nursing, Queensland University of Technology, Australia[PhD in Nursing graduate]
- In 1990. Prof. Chang was appointed as a Consultant to set up the first Bachelor of Nursing Programme for registered nurses at CUHK. The programme received an overwhelming response with over 1,000 applications competing for 50 places.
- This much needed programme was made possible through the seamless collaboration between Prof. Chang, Ms. Paula Choy from the College of Nursing, Hong Kong and Mr. Michael Ho from the Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff. They also successfully canvassed the government for funding university nursing degree places.
- The programme curriculum was developed by Prof. Chang, in collaboration with nursing leaders including Dr. Susie Lum, Ms. Manbo Man and Mr. Allan Ng.
- The success of this programme led to the introduction of the 4-year Bachelor of Nursing (Pre-registration) Programme in 1995, and Prof. Chang was the key person in developing this programme.
- She contributed significantly to the establishment of the CUHK Department of Nursing, and developed the Master of Nursing and Master of Philosophy in Nursing Programmes with colleagues in the department.
Prof. Janita Pak-chun CHAU
Professor, The Nethersole School of Nursing; Assistant Dean (Alumni Affairs), Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[PhD in Nursing, MPhil in Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Prof. Chau repeatedly received awards for her outstanding academic achievements and contributions to teaching.
- She received 19 awards, including the Vice-Chancellor ’s Exemplary Teaching Award (2009), Faculty of Medicine Master Teacher Award (2003), and Faculty of Medicine Teacher of the Year Awards (1999-2003, 2010-2013 and 2015-2016).
Prof. Wai-tong CHIEN
Professor & Chairperson of Research Committee, The Nethersole School of Nursing; Assistant Dean (Alumni Affairs), Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[MPhil in Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Prof. Chien enthusiastically devotes himself to academic research. He has obtained a number of research grants and published over 130 peer-reviewed papers.
- He has been active in providing consultancy and staff training for governmental/non-governmental mental health agencies in Hong Kong, mainland China and South East Asia.
Dr. Danny Wah-kun TONG
Senior manager (Nursing)/Principal Nursing Officer, Nursing Services Department, Hospital Authority; Adjunct Assistant Professor, The Nethersole School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[Master of Nursing graduate]
- Dr. Tong devoted himself to combating SARS at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) in 2003 and was a key infection control officer at that time. Subsequently, he played an important role in the establishment of Hong Kong’s first infectious disease centre at the PMH.
- He has been deeply committed to promoting evidence-based nursing practice and simulated training. During 2000-2002, he conducted a territory-wide study on medical and nursing services in privately run residential homes. The research findings have become an important reference for the related services.
Dr. Irene Kit-yee WONG
Former Head of School, School of Nursing, Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital; Former Associate Professor, The Nethersole School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[PhD in Nursing, Master of Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
Ms. Pui-shan YUEN
Advanced Practice Nurse, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Pui-shan is an experienced Advanced Practice Nurse and midwife, with a strong passion for providing holistic care to help pregnant women dealing with different health problems.
- She is active in supporting and contributing to the School, and has served the CUHK Nursing Alumni Association as the Chairlady for more than 10 years.
Prof. Ka-ming CHOW
Assistant Professor, The Nethersole School of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong[Doctor of Nursing, Master of Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Prof. Chow has demonstrated excellent leadership capacities in her work, and has actively developed innovative teaching strategies to manage the Bachelor of Nursing Programme.
- She has successfully obtained several research grants to enhance the quality of nursing education and research.
Mr. Wilson Wai-kit CHIANG
Advanced Practice Nurse, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital[Master of Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
Ms. Sharon Wai-man PANG
Ward Manager, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital[Master of Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Sharon has been active in conducting research in hospital wards to enhance service efficacy, and has disseminated her research findings in the Hospital Authority Conventions.
- She is also committed to nurturing the next generation of nurses through clinical teaching and delivering seminars.
Mr. Howard CHAN
Registered Nurse, Accident & Emergency Department, Tin Shui Wai Hospital[Master of Nursing Science graduate]
Ms. Grace Kit-yee CHAN
Registered Nurse & Registered Social Worker[Master of Nursing Science graduate]
- Grace is a Registered Nurse and Registered Social Worker.
- Her dual roles enable her to integrate skills in healthcare and social work to serve the community more effectively.
Ms. Hang-ping LI
Project Officer, HKSKH Lady MacLehose Centre Dr. Lam Chik Suen District Elderly Community Centre[Bachelor of Science in Gerontology graduate]
Ms. Susanna Wai-yee LEE
Former Chief Nursing Officer, Hospital Authority Head Office[Master of Nursing graduate]
Ms. Irene Lim-lim KONG
Nurse Consultant (Renal), Princess Margaret Hospital[Master of Nursing graduate]
- Irene was presented with Outstanding Nurse Award by the Association of Hong Kong Nursing Staff in the 2015 Hong Kong, Macau, Guangdong Outstanding Nurses Competition for her contributions to the nursing profession.
- She is committed to promoting the development of renal nursing. She was actively involved in developing a certificate course in renal nursing, and serves as Course Coordinator and Visiting Lecturer.
Prof. Ruth Elaine TAYLOR-PILIAE
Associate Professor, College of Nursing, The University of Arizona, US[Master of Nursing graduate]
- Prof. Taylor-Piliae received her Master of Nursing from the Nethersole School of Nursing, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and her PhD from the University of California San Francisco. She completed a 2-year post-doctoral fellowship in cardiovascular epidemiology and prevention at the Stanford University.
- She has received numerous teaching, research, and service awards, such as the Suzanne Van Ort Peer Award for Graduate Teaching, the Extraordinary Faculty Award, and the Mathy Mezey Excellence in Aging Award. In addition, she was named a Tucson Fabulous 50 Nurse in 2015.
Alumni Award for Outstanding Community Service
Ms. Kwok-yin LIN
Director of Services and Development, Children's Palliative Care, Butterfly Children's Hospices[MPhil in Nursing & Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Kwok-yin is our Bachelor of Nursing graduate of the first cohort. She donated her bone marrow to a child suffering from leukaemia during her study. She later joined the Children’s Cancer Foundation as a honorary member.
- In 1999, she introduced the only local children palliative and home care service in the Children’s Cancer Foundation. In 2015, she joined the Mentorship Programme of the New Asia College of CUHK.
Ms. Carol Kar-yee TSE
Advanced Practice Nurse, Operating Theatre, Prince of Wales Hospital[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Carol cares about both the local and international communities. She has a strong passion for community service and actively participates in voluntary services in different organisations.
- She received compliments from the Hong Kong Red Cross and the Prince of Wales Hospital in recognition of her enthusiastic contributions to the community.
Alumni Medalist Award
Ms. Christy Kit-ching YIU
Hong Kong representative of Rio Olympic Women's Marathon[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
Mr. Chit LAU
Captain, Hong Kong Cathay Dragon[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
Ms. Hiu-lam CHENG
Advanced Practice Nurse, Department of Medicine, Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
Mr. Andy Man-wai LEUNG
Infection Control Nurse, Hong Kong Adventist Hospital[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Andy has written several Chinese novels and short stories for children, including ‘I Want to See the Golden Owl’(《我要看見金色貓頭鷹》), ‘Red Elf in the Curtain’(《布幕裡的紅精靈》)and ‘Guardian Lion at the Art Museum’(《藝術館的石獅子》), using the pen name of Feng-wen (風聞).
- The novel series of ‘The Order’ (《神的密令》) was published in 2015. He is the first nursing graduate becoming a novelist, and his latest work is ‘Your Time has been Stolen’ (《偷時間的人們》).
Christopher Pak-him KAN, Esq.
Barrister-at-Law & Accredited Mediator (General & Family)[Bachelor of Nursing graduate]
- Christopher practised in various clinical areas after graduation. After receiving the Juris Doctor degree at the City University of Hong Kong in 2010, he began his career as a barrister-at-law in 2012.
- He devotes himself to education and is actively involved in pro bono legal services.