Professional Diploma Programme in Advanced Nursing Practice
(Management and Leadership / Medical Nursing /
Perioperative Nursing / Oncology Nursing)
Application Deadline for admission in September 2017: 14 August 2017 (Monday)
Nurses who assume specialty roles in different clinical settings have been increasing significance in the provision of high quality nursing care and the enhancement of healthcare outcomes. This programme is designed to provide comprehensive specialty training for bachelor’s-prepared registered nurses. The modules in the programme provide students with the requisite specialty-based knowledge and skills for delivering advanced nursing care, promoting evidence-based nursing practice, advancing innovations in healthcare delivery, and assuming leadership, management and advocacy roles within a specialty area of practice. A range of professional learning experiences are provided to develop students’ expertise in a specialty area.
Study Streams of the Programme
Students admitted in 2017-18 may choose to study in one of the following study streams:
- Management and Leadership
- Medical Nursing
- Perioperative Nursing
- Oncology Nursing
Who Should Apply
Registered nurses who would like to pursue specialty nursing education offered by a recognised university in Hong Kong.
The applicant should:
- be a Registered Nurse in Hong Kong with a valid practising certificate;
- have a bachelor’s degree in nursing;
- have at least 2 years’ post-registration work experience in healthcare; and
- be currently practising in a specialty area related to the chosen study stream.
Students are assessed in every module through a combination of examinations, assignments, presentations, laboratory demonstrations, case study reports, projects and coursework.
For graduation, students are required to attain a minimum of 80% attendance and pass all assessments in each module, and obtain a cumulative overall GPA of not lower than 2.0.
This programme leads to the award of a Professional Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK).
Transfer of Units
Graduates from the programme with an average result of not lower than B may apply for unit exemption when studying Master of Nursing Programme offered by our School.
Recognition of the Programme
The programme is recognised by the respective College of the Hong Kong Academy of Nursing as quotable qualification.
The curriculum consists of six modules offering in three terms over one academic year.
An Introduction to Specialty Nursing Practice
Specialization in Advanced Nursing Practice / Management I
Specialization in Advanced Nursing Practice / Management II
Practice Innovations and Change Management
Clinical Leadership and Contemporary Roles of Specialty Nursing
Professional Skill Competency in Specialty Nursing
# Students will attend classes according to their study streams.
Professor Iris LEE
Mode of Study and Duration
1-year part-time (from September to June)
Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Teaching and learning strategies include lectures, tutorials, laboratory demonstration and practice, online activities, student-led presentations, discussions, case studies, group projects, workshops, visits, clinical practice and reflective activities.
- Guided and supported professional learning experience in the specialty area of practice (250 hours out-of-class professional activities)
Medium of Instruction
English supplemented with Cantonese
Classes will usually be held in two weekday evenings or on Saturday per week in the CUHK campus or occasionally in hospitals.
Career Prospects and Further Studies
- Advancing nursing excellence in a specialty area of practice
- Assuming leadership and management roles in wards, hospitals or other healthcare settings
- Pursuing postgraduate studies in nursing or other health-related disciplines
The Nethersole School of Nursing of the Faculty of Medicine, CUHK has a proud and successful history of providing undergraduate and postgraduate nursing education at par with international standards.
Director and Professor
Professor Sek Ying CHAIR
Advantages of Studying at The Nethersole School of Nursing
- Obtaining a professional diploma in nursing from an internationally renowned university
- Studying in an established school of nursing with national and international links
- Teaching by professors and lecturers who are experienced in various clinical areas and in research
- Studying in a friendly and stimulating environment conducive to effective learning and personal growth, with the support of helpful academic staff
- Opportunity to attend seminars delivered by international scholars in nursing and other disciplines
Address: 7/F, Esther Lee Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 3943 6076
Fax: (852) 2603 5269
The Chinese University of Hong Kong – University of British Columbia International Centre on Nursing Leadership (http://icnl.nur.cuhk.edu.hk)