The Nethersole School of Nursing, formerly Department of Nursing, was established under Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1991. It is the first university department of nursing in Hong Kong. The School focuses on high quality, innovative nursing and health education and research to prepare and support nurses to commit themselves to improving health outcomes for individuals and communities locally, regionally and globally, as well as facilitating nursing development in Hong Kong. With the generous support of the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Charity Foundation, the School has further invigorated its commitment to pursuing excellence in nursing education, research and practice under the name of “The Nethersole School of Nursing” since 1 January 2002.
The Nethersole School of Nursing excels in education and research to prepare and nurture caring, competent and professional nursing leaders, and to promote the highest standards of nursing and health care practices.
The motto of the School is ‘To serve the community with compassion’, representing that our School is highly and passionately committed to serving the community with compassion.
- To offer high quality undergraduate and postgraduate education in nursing, gerontology and health care that serves and meets the rapidly changing health needs of individuals, communities and the society at large, as well as advancing the development of the nursing profession.
- To create a supportive knowledge-centred learning environment where evidence-based nursing and health care knowledge is generated and shared.
- To foster lifelong learning and to provide a foundation for continuing education.
- To advance the art and science of nursing.
- To promote and facilitate the discovery, integration, application, and dissemination of high quality nursing and health care to the populations/communities in need through innovative research, synthesis, practice, and teaching.
History & Inheritance
The original Nethersole School of Nursing of the Nethersole Hospital established in 1893 was the first hospital-based school for nurses’ training in Hong Kong. It shared the same motto with the hospital about the provision of compassionate care to the sick and needy people. The school had actively promoted nursing education for over a century, and nurtured numerous competent, caring and passionate nurses. Its impact was evidenced by the dedication, care and compassion as shown by its graduates worldwide. By keeping pace with the changing era in the 21st century, nursing education has progressed to the tertiary or university level. To commemorate the school’s contributions to nursing profession in Hong Kong and carry on its mission in nursing education, and in appreciation for the generous support of the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Charity Foundation, CUHK Nursing has been named as “The Nethersole School of Nursing” of The Chinese University of Hong Kong since 2002.