(Management and Leadership/ Perioperative Nursing/ Medical Nursing) (1-year part-time)
Application Period for admission in September 2019: 7 Jan – 8 Apr 2019
This programme leads to the award of a Professional Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK).
Specialty nurses in different clinical settings have assumed an increasingly significant role in the provision of high quality nursing care and the enhancement of healthcare outcomes. The programme is designed to equip bachelor’s-prepared registered nurses with a solid foundation for advanced practice in specialty nursing or healthcare management. The emphasis is placed on the development of specialty knowledge and skills that are necessary to the provision of healthcare management or therapeutic nursing interventions at an advanced level. Students are also expected to further develop their competence in clinical or management decision-making and evidence-based evaluation in their relevant clinical specialty or healthcare management area.
Study Streams of the Programme
Students admitted in 2019-20 may choose to study in one of the following study streams:
- Management and Leadership
- Perioperative Nursing
- Medical Nursing
Who Should Apply
Bachelor’s-prepared registered nurses who would like to pursue specialty nursing education at an advanced level offered by a recognised university.
Transfer of Units
Graduates of the programme achieving an average grade of not lower than ‘B’ may apply for unit exemption when studying the Master of Nursing Programme or Doctor of Nursing Programme offered by our School.
The applicant should:
- be a registered nurse with a valid practising certificate;
- have a bachelor’s degree in nursing or related discipline;
- have at least 2 years’ post-registration work experience in healthcare; and
- be currently practising in a specialty area related to the chosen study stream.
Recognition of the Programme
- The programme is recognised by the respective College of the Hong Kong Academy of Nursing as quotable qualification.
- The Professional Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice is recognised by the Education Bureau of HKSAR Government as Level 6 under the Qualifications Framework (QR Registration No.: 18/000237/L6; Registration Validity Period: 21/03/2018 to On-going).
The curriculum consists of six courses offering in three terms over the academic year of 2019-20.
Students are assessed in every course through a combination of examination, assignment, presentation, case study report, project, coursework, and/or laboratory demonstration.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Teaching and learning strategies include lecture, tutorial, online learning activity, laboratory demonstration and practice, student-led presentation, discussion, case study, project, forum, workshop, visit, clinical mentoring and reflective learning activity, as appropriate.
- Guided and supported professional learning experience in the specialty area of practice (250 hours of out-of-class professional activities).
For graduation, students are required to have an overall attendance of at least 80% and pass all the courses with an overall GPA not lower than 2.0.
Mode of Study and Medium of Instruction
- 1-year part-time (from September to June)
- English supplemented with Cantonese
Classes are usually held on two weekday evenings or on Saturday each week in the CUHK campus. Tentative class schedule will be announced on the programme website in early March 2019.
HK$37,000 (For September 2019 intake)
Career Prospects and Further Studies
- Advancing nursing excellence in a specialty area of practice;
- Assuming leadership and management roles in wards, hospitals or other healthcare settings;
- Pursuing postgraduate studies in nursing or other health-related disciplines.
The Nethersole School of Nursing of the Faculty of Medicine, CUHK has a proud and successful history of providing undergraduate and postgraduate nursing education at par with international standards.
Professor Iris LEE
Advantages of Studying at The Nethersole School of Nursing
- Obtaining a professional diploma in nursing from an internationally renowned university;
- Studying in an established school of nursing with national and international links;
- Teaching by a multidisciplinary team of academic staff and experts who are experienced in clinical practice, management and research;
- Studying in a friendly and stimulating environment conducive to effective learning and personal growth, with the support of helpful academic staff;
- Opportunities to attend seminars given by international scholars in nursing or other disciplines.
- 16 Feb 2019 (Sat), 11:45 am, LT4, Esther Lee Building, CUHK
- 2 Mar 2019 (Sat), 11:00 am, LT1, Esther Lee Building, CUHK
Tel: (852) 3943 9934
Fax: (852) 2603 6041
Address: 7/F, Esther Lee Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong