(Cardiac Nursing / Management and Leadership) (1-year part-time)
This programme leads to the award of a Professional Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice from The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK).
The programme is designed to equip bachelor’s-prepared registered nurses with a solid foundation for advanced practice in specialty nursing or healthcare management. The emphasis is placed on the development of specialty knowledge and skills that are necessary to the provision of healthcare management or therapeutic nursing interventions at an advanced level. Students are also expected to further develop their competence in clinical or management decision-making and evidence-based evaluation in their relevant clinical specialty or healthcare management area.
Study Streams of the Programme
Students admitted in 2020-21 may choose to study in one of the following study streams:
- Cardiac Nursing (Cardiac Medical / Cardiac Perfusion)
- Management and Leadership
- Perioperative Nursing
Who Should Apply
Bachelor’s-prepared registered nurses who would like to pursue specialty nursing education at an advanced level offered by a recognised university.
Transfer of Units
Graduates of the programme achieving an average grade of not lower than ‘B’ may apply for unit exemption when studying the Master of Nursing Programme or Doctor of Nursing Programme offered by our School.
The applicant should:
- be a registered nurse with a valid practising certificate;
- have a bachelor’s degree in nursing or related discipline;
- have at least 2 years’ post-registration work experience in healthcare. (preferable to have at least 6 years’ post-registration work experience for Management and Leadership stream); and
- be currently practising in a specialty area related to the chosen study stream.
Recognition of the Programme
- The programme is recognised by the respective College of the Hong Kong Academy of Nursing Limited as quotable qualification.
- The programme is recognised under the Qualifications Framework (QF).
- QF Level: L6
- QR Registration No.: 18/000237/L6
- Registration Validity Period: 21/03/2018 to On-going
The curriculum consists of six courses.
Students are assessed in every course through a combination of examination, assignment, presentation, case study report, project, coursework, and/or laboratory demonstration.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Teaching and learning strategies include lecture, tutorial, online learning activity, laboratory demonstration and practice, student-led presentation, discussion, case study, project, forum, workshop, visit, clinical mentoring, reflective learning activity and simulation-based learning as appropriate.
- Guided and supported professional learning experience in the specialty area of practice.
For graduation, students are required to have an overall attendance of at least 80% and pass all the courses with an overall GPA not lower than 2.0.
Mode of Study and Medium of Instruction
- 1-year part-time (from September to June)
- English supplemented with Cantonese
Classes are usually held on two weekday evenings or on Saturday each week in the CUHK campus.
HK$37,000 (For September 2020 intake)
Career Prospects and Further Studies
- Advancing nursing excellence in a specialty area of practice;
- Assuming leadership and management roles in wards, hospitals or other healthcare settings;
- Pursuing postgraduate studies in nursing or other health-related disciplines.
The Nethersole School of Nursing of the Faculty of Medicine, CUHK has a proud and successful history of providing undergraduate and postgraduate nursing education at par with international standards.
Professor Suzanne LO
Advantages of Studying at The Nethersole School of Nursing
- Obtaining a professional diploma in nursing from an internationally renowned university;
- Studying in an established school of nursing with national and international links;
- Teaching by a multidisciplinary team of academic staff and experts who are experienced in clinical practice, management and research;
- Studying in a friendly and stimulating environment conducive to effective learning and personal growth, with the support of helpful academic staff;
- Opportunities to attend seminars given by international scholars in nursing or other disciplines.
|1st Information Seminar||15 Feb 2020 (Sat)||11:15 am||LT3, Esther Lee Building, CUHK|
|2nd Information Seminar||14 Mar 2020 (Sat)||10:30 am||LT4, Esther Lee Building, CUHK|
6 Jan - 30 Apr 2020
Tel: (852) 3943 9934
Fax: (852) 2603 6041
Address: 7/F, Esther Lee Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong